How to get band 7+ in IELTS writing using only 20 connectors?
Connectors are very important in writing as well as speaking part of IELTS. A short sentence might not convey the exact meaning to the examiner, while long one might leave them confused. The examiner always looks out for a range of connectors to evaluate your answer. The examinee is marked on the range, accuracy, flexibility, and the position of connectors in the test.
Connectors, also known as linking words or conjunctive words which make a sentence more interesting. These are words or phrases used to connect sentences. They help in sentence construction and connect two related parts of text. Linker also helps candidates to put their opinion comprehensively and display a greater knowledge of vocabulary.
There are number of connectors in the English language that can be used to show contrast, similarity, outcome, result, sequence, order or importance, exemplification, emphasis, timing, correction, explanation, sequence, conclusion, and correction. Practicing every connector might be time-consuming and give you more headaches. Be smart! Using only 20 connectors you can achieve your goal to get 7+ band. Rest of you can do take more knowledge of English language.
Below is a list of all 20 connectors with examples to help you see how they are applied.
You use likewise when you are comparing two methods, states, or situation that they are similar.
- The finance minister boosted higher education funding in his budget, he likewise increased social development investment.
To say something is similar to something else.
- Italian painters are well known for their avant-garde creations. The Greeks are similarly known for their philosophies.
To describe a situation which is closely connected or alike with one you have just mentioned.
- Living expenses in big cities are higher than in the countryside but the salaries are corresponding higher.
To describe actions those occur at the same time.
- The majority of governments address both crime and unemployment simultaneously because they are perceived as two sides of the same coin.
It shows that something happens because of something else.
- Most governments recognise the value of education. Therefore, they are prepared to spend a significant sum of money to raise educational standards.
To introduce a fact or situation that is a result or consequence of something.
- The quality of the items started to drastically deteriorate so the government acted accordingly and began inspecting all incoming commodities.
Use when compared to another.
- Tourism along the coast is expanding. In contrast, people travel less for work and limit their meetings to video conferencing; the number of visitors to urban regions is decreasing
On the other hand
To introduce statement that contrasts with previous statements.
- Some claim that antibacterial soaps and detergents are beneficial because they guarantee an atmosphere free of bacteria. On the other hand, there are those who disagree, claiming that eliminating bacteria from environment robs us of our capacity to mount an immunological response.
As an alternative
- America should think about changing its gun regulations, instead, they choose to disregard the issue.
To begin with
For introducing the first stage of situation, event, or process.
- He discovered that the work was easy to begin with but gradually became more challenging.
To add extra information to something we already have
- Volunteers were needed by the charity to staff the booths. They also required individuals who were willing to spend the night and guard the priceless items that will be put up for sale during the weekend.
First, Firstly, In the first place, First of all
Ordinal adverbs use to enumerate related points.
- People shouldn’t be allowed to sleep on the streets in the first place, according to the local government.
Second, Secondly, In the second place
When you want to make a second point or give a second reason for something.
- The creation of jobs is mostly the duty of the government. Second, they should make sure that companies respect and treat employees fairly.
Third, Thirdly , In the third place
When you want to make a third point or give a third reason for something.
- She wanted to make sure she pursued her aspirations when looking for work. Second, she desired a fair income, and third, she looked for promotion prospects.
Last, Lastly, Last of all
When something is the last item on a long list, use lastly.
- Last but not least, the senior staff member is in charge of making sure that the offices are locked and secured at the conclusion of the workday.
To mention another item connected with the subject you are discussing.
- The organisation pledged to make up for any issues brought on by the false material that was printed in their magazine. In addition, they discounted the following issue of the glossy magazine.
Introduce a new fact or viewpoint that supplements or complements the preceding one.
- The houses in the neighbourhood were large and spacious. Furthermore, they had quick access to public transportation.
As a matter of fact
Used to expand on what you have just said.
- What most people don’t realise is that not everyone enjoys travelling; as a matter of fact, many people prefer to remain in one location.
After a certain historical event that has already been discussed.
- Most of the day was spent in practice for the Olympic team. Afterwards they relaxed and enjoyed time with their families.
To introduce the concluding remarks in a speech or piece of writing.
- In conclusion, playing well is more crucial than necessarily winning.
- Download Driving License | Get DL Soft Copy (PDF) via DigiLocker
- Download Learner License Online | Get Learning Licence (LL) PDF Copy
- Vehicle chassis number search | Check Vehicle details
- Find Vehicle Owner details in Andhra Pradesh
- Driving Licence Number | Find/Recover DL Number Online -Step by Step Guide
- Download Birth/Death Certificate online in Gujarat – eolakh.gujarat.gov.in
- Pay Ahmedabad E Challan – payahmedabadechallan.org
- Fancy Number for Vehicle in Maharashtra | RTO Choice Number availability